Summer camps will be in full swing before you know it, with great possibilities for lifelong friendships and lasting memories. Here are some important safety questions to ask when researching and choosing a summer camp for your little one:
· What is the counselor-to-child ratio? It is important to ensure your child is receiving the proper amount of care. If a camp is understaffed, your child’s needs could easily be overlooked.
· Who are the counselors and how are they selected? Another key factor in summer camp selection is not just how much attention your child is receiving but from who. Help guarantee your child’s safety through choosing a summer camp that conducts background checks before hiring their camp counselors.
· What kind of safety training is required of the counselors? Be sure to select a camp where the counselors are licensed or certified in things such as CPR and other areas that relate to the activities your children will be engaging in.
· Do camp directors have all medical conditions/special needs of kids readily accessible? Not only should counselors and fellow staff of the camp be up to date on safety training but it is vital that they have immediate access to the medical needs of your child.
· Is the exchange of emergency contact information required? As important as it is for the camp to be able to contact you in the event of an emergency on their end, it is just as important for you to be able to contact your child in the event of an emergency on your end. Be sure that up-to-date contact information is traded.