What Are Examples of Nursing Home Abuse?
Among other things, nurses may fail to recognize the symptoms of common illnesses and conditions, such as:
- Urinary tract infections
- Bed sores / pressure ulcers
- Malnutrition / dehydration evidences by weight loss or gain
Nurses and other care providers at these facilities may fail to obtain appropriate medical care for their patients. Physicians may misdiagnose a condition and prescribe incorrect or insufficient treatment or medication. They may even actively abuse a patient—physically, financially, sexually, or emotionally. It’s important to know the signs of nursing home abuse and neglect.
How Can I Tell if My Loved One is Being Mistreated in a Nursing Home?
There are many signs that could point to nursing home negligence or mistreatment. You should know about them if you have a loved one in a long-term care facility.
Watch for changes in behavior and personality. For example:
- Is the patient suddenly withdrawn, angry, uncomfortable or anti-social?
- Does he or she behave differently when staff members—or one staff member in particular—is in the room?
- Does your loved one appear to be over or under medicated?