Call Today216.600.0114
Michael Hill | Jan 2, 2014

Can My Family Be Compensated for the Death of My Spouse?

Categories: Wrongful Death

Wrongful death claims are usually filed by a family member or a spouse who has lost a loved one due to the negligence or wrongdoing of another.

A wrongful death is not like murder as how the person died is based on the fact that it was an accident and not malicious intent. However, the loss is still tragic and devastating for a family and the only way to recover from that legally is to bring a lawsuit against the offending party.

Through the wrongful death claim, you and your attorney will help to show a judge or jury that the party is at fault for the death of your loved one. They were at fault through negligence or carelessness on their side and they must be held responsible. These types of accidents can happen in many different ways from car accidents to defective products to machinery used during employment.

Who can recover from a wrongful death case may vary from state to state. In any case, an immediate family member or spouse can seek compensation in a wrongful death lawsuit. Some states also allow lawsuits to be filed for domestic partnerships, distant relatives, and even all persons who suffered financially due to the loss. Compensation can include funeral expenses and lost wages your loved one can no longer earn. You may also be compensated for non-economic damages such as loss of companionship and even loss of relationship.

You and your family will suffer due to the loss of your loved one. But holding the person who caused this pain responsible in the eyes of the law can help to heal your family and give you the much needed financial help you will no doubt need in your time of trouble.