William Hawal has been consistently recognized as being among The Best Lawyers in America® in the Medical Malpractice Law practice area. This listing has been called the most respected peer-review publication in the legal profession. For more than 25 years, it has assisted lawyers and clients looking for legal counsel in unfamiliar specialties and in foreign jurisdictions. Best Lawyers named Bill its 2015 Lawyer of the Year for medical malpractice for the northeast Ohio area.
In 2013, Bill was inducted as a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, whose membership is restricted to the top one-percent of trial lawyers from each state, as unanimously recognized by their peers. William Hawal has also has been selected by The American Trial Lawyers Association (a professional, educational, and business organization of trial attorneys) as one of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Ohio. Selection for this association is extended to civil plaintiff attorneys by special invitation. Candidates are considered for membership based on superior qualifications, leadership, reputation, influence, stature, and profile in the Trial Lawyer community.
Super Lawyers® magazine has recognized William Hawal to be among the top attorneys in Ohio specializing in the Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice practice areas. Bill has been invited to be a founding member of The Summit Counsel, a group of today’s top civil justice lawyers in the United States and has been granted a Fellowship in the International Society of Barristers.
William Hawal is the former President of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) Ohio Chapter. He is a Past President of The Cleveland Academy of Trial Lawyers, a recipient of a distinguished service award from The Ohio Association for Justice, a member of the Executive Board of the Ohio Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates, and has been appointed a life member of the Eighth District Judicial Conference. Bill is a 1980 cum laude graduate from the Cleveland-Marshall College of Law where he served on the law review.
Bill is involved in litigating a wide variety of complex matters involving medical misdiagnoses, medical procedures, defective medical devices and drugs, legal malpractice and injuries due to defective industrial and consumer products. Bill has litigated numerous cases across the country involving defective pharmaceuticals. He has had a central role in the Gadolinium-Based Contrast Litigation, in the Federal Multidistrict Litigation responsible for conducting much of the discovery for the more than 600 cases brought against GE Healthcare Inc. He also has extensive experience in product liability litigation having successfully tried and settled cases involving defective helicopter components, automobiles, farm equipment, industrial machines, and consumer products. He is also experienced in representing individuals in high-profile civil rights lawsuits. Bill has been invited to lecture on various topics related to personal injury trial practice. He is particularly proud of the lasting relationships which he has developed with many of his clients.
1980 – Present
- SPANGENBERG SHIBLEY & LIBER LLP Cleveland, Ohio
Cleveland Marshall College of Law, Cleveland, Ohio, J.D. 1980
- Associate Editor Law Review
- 1980 - Ohio Supreme Court
- 1980 - U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- 1982 - 6th Circuit Court of Appeals
- American Board of Trial Advocates; President, Ohio Chapter
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- International Society of Barristers - Fellow
- The Summit Counsel
- Chair, Halcion Litigation Group, American Association for Justice, 1992
- Ohio Eighth Judicial Conference; Life Member
- Cleveland Academy of Trial Attorneys; President, 1996
- American Association of Justice; Sustaining Member
- Ohio Association of Justice; Sustaining Member
- American Trial Lawyers Association; Member
- National Trial Lawyers Association
- American Constitution Society; Member
- American Bar Association; Member
- Ohio State Bar Association; Member
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association; Member
- Best Lawyers in America – Medical Malpractice
- Ohio Super Lawyer – Ohio Super Lawyer Magazine
- Selected to Super Lawyers 2006-2015
- Fellow – International Society of Barristers
- American Trial Lawyers Association – Top 100 Lawyers
- Ohio Academy of Trial Lawyers – Distinguished Service Award
- Martindale-Hubbell Legal Directory – AV rating
- Leading Lawyers in Inside Business Magazine, 2005-Present
Bill has been active in many legal organizations, including his service as president of the Cleveland Academy of Trial Attorneys and his current position as president of the Ohio Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) for the 2012 calendar year. ABOTA is a national organization of accomplished plaintiff and defense trial lawyers who are committed to preserving the right to trial by jury.
Bill has also been active in mentoring law students and teaching trial advocacy to students in the trial advocacy programs at Cleveland-Marshall College of Law. He is a frequent lecturer on various topics related to trial practice.