Do You Know What Your Rights Are As a Nursing Home Resident in Ohio?
Once you've chosen a facility for your loved one's care, it is important that you and your loved one, if practical, become familiar with what is commonly known as the Nursing Home Residents' Bill of Rights. Embodied in the Ohio Revised Code, the Nursing Home Residents' Bill of Rights promises certain standards and items of care to residents of nursing home facilities in Ohio.
These rights include:
- The right to a safe and clean living environment
- The right to be free from physical, verbal and mental abuse; and the right to be treated at all times with courtesy and respect
- The right to adequate and appropriate medical treatment and nursing care
- The right to have all reasonable inquiries and requests responded to promptly
- The right to have clothing and bed sheets changed as necessary to ensure comfort and sanitation
- The right to unrestricted communication with the resident's family
- The right to participate in decisions that affect the resident's life