Daniel Frech is an experienced business litigator, having represented local and regional businesses across a variety of industries as well as Fortune 500 companies, national banks and private equity funds. Dan also has extensive experience litigating on behalf of consumers in the class-action context. As a senior associate in Spangenberg’s Business Litigation Group, Dan plays a key role in developing and investigating potential business matters and litigating them on behalf of the firm’s clients.
Dan has litigated high stakes cases – commercial and otherwise – in jurisdictions across the country. He has first and second chair trial experience, having most recently worked with Spangenberg Managing Partner Peter Weinberger to obtain a $2.7 million verdict in a professional malpractice case. Dan has also successfully briefed and argued issues before the Federal Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals and the Eighth Appellate District of Ohio.
Dan graduated with honors from Washington University School of Law in St. Louis in 2007. Upon graduation, he joined the international law firm Jones Day and worked as an associate in the firm's trial practice group. During his time at Jones Day, Dan consulted with businesses and represented clients in civil litigation including civil antitrust matters, disputes arising from merger and acquisition activity, private equity acquisitions, and contractual disputes.
Dan joined Spangenberg, Shibley and Liber as an associate in 2012 and since joining the firm has represented, among others:
- A regional bank in an accounting malpractice case where Plaintiff reached a seven-figure settlement;
- An international manufacturing concern in an insurance coverage dispute;
- A group of entrepreneurs in contract litigation against a major defense concern that purchased their technology; and
- The general partner in a series of private equity funds in litigation with the funds’ limited partners.
Dan is currently counsel for Plaintiffs in class action lawsuits involving the financial services industry and several others involving consumer marketing or products liability..
Prior to attending law school, Dan earned a Master's degree in Financial Economics and his ability to interpret financial and accounting statements and to simplify complex economic ideas into plain language have proven beneficial to his clients through his work with economists, accountants and valuation experts testifying in civil litigation.
Dan is admitted to practice in all state courts in Ohio, the Federal District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, the Federal District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, and the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Dan was named an Ohio Top 100 Trial Lawyer by the National Trial Lawyers in 2014 and a Rising Star by Super Lawyers for 2015.
2012 - Present
- Spangenberg Shibley & Liber - Cleveland, OH
2007 – 2010
- Jones Day, Cleveland, OH
Washington University School of Law, St. Louis, Missouri, May 2007, J.D.
- Honors: cum laude
- Honors: Dean's List
Ohio University, Athens, Ohio, August 2004, M.A.
- Major: Financial Economics
Ohio University, Athens, Ohio, June 2000, B.A.,
- Major : English
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Named an Ohio Top 100 Trial Lawyer by the National Trial Lawyers in 2014 and 2015
- Named a Rising Star by Super Lawyers for 2015.
- Admitted to practice in all Ohio state courts, the Northern and Southern District of Ohio and the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Member of Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association and Federal Bar Association.
Dan is a happy transplant to Cleveland. He likes that Cleveland has seasons, but wishes they were of different relative lengths. He loves Cleveland sports and regularly attends games, but wouldn’t mind a few more wins. Dan resides on the west side of Cleveland with his fiancée, Cleveland labor-lawyer Jessica Monroe, and her remarkably good-natured cat.